Sunday, December 9, 2007

Pretty Scary...

I think it was Jill that said something about Lauren starting to ask the "hard questions". All of a sudden she's got a lot of them. Some of them have been:

"How does Santa get down the chimney if he's so big and fat?"

"Did God make people first and then they had babies?"

A few days ago we had this conversation: Lauren said something about only wanting to be friends with pretty people. She's been saying lately that she wants to be the prettiest girl in the world. I've been feeling heartbroken that my little girl sounds so shallow and wondering what we did wrong. I've been trying to explain that being pretty is not the most important thing in the world. I asked her this question: "Would you rather be friends with someone who is pretty, but always mean to you, or someone who is not pretty, but is very nice and always a good friend". She said she doesn't know what to choose and "please let me think about these questions you are asking me." She said she wants friends who are pretty and nice, not unpretty and mean. I tried to explain that they don't always go hand in hand. (This is all happening while she's on the potty and I'm blow-drying my hair getting ready for work. ) I gave her the scenario of someone with a big birthmark on her face, something she can't help. First of all Lauren wanted to know if birthmarks come off. Then she decided that she will be friends with that person if they are nice and they WANT to be pretty. I wonder what her definition of pretty is?

She's also talking a lot lately about getting married and boyfriends and yesterday she kissed one of the boys in her class. We told her it's not nice to kiss someone if they don't want to be kissed and that she can't get married until she's about 30 so why think about it now? Just be friends with everyone that you can.

This parenting stuff is HARD!!!

Also, today Lauren said she was building a super-fast, super-strong, super-heavy race car that not even Uncle Bryan or a giant could lift. :)

No comments: